Heartbreaking details inside a couple’s home after they died in a horrific house fire
Grandparents die in morning house fire Urges NSW fleeing to check smoke alarm, winter death records on track
Two beloved grandparents who died in a house fire tried to escape the blaze but were trapped inside, authorities believe.
Sonia and Orosil Airspe, aged 75 and 81, were unable to escape when their home on Lily Street in Weatherill Park in Sydney’s south-west caught fire at 6am on Wednesday.
Neighbors called emergency services at 6.45am after seeing smoke coming from the two-storey house.
Two brave neighbors then launched a rescue operation to save the grandparents but could not open the shutters of the upstairs windows.
Two men suffered smoke inhalation in their desperate efforts, one of whom was taken to hospital.
Two grandparents tragically died in a house fire in Sydney’s south-west on Wednesday morning.
It is believed that the house was locked from the inside in an attempt to keep Grandfather from dementia.
Two of the victims of the Wetherill Park fire were grandparents Sonya and Orosil Airspe, who had lived in the house for decades.
Firefighters finally forced their way into the house, which had been burning for about three hours, and discovered their bodies.
“Firefighters removed the woman and administered CPR until NSW Ambulance paramedics arrived, but the couple were pronounced dead at the scene,” a statement from Fire and Rescue NSW said.
‘Firefighters continued to attack the blaze, extinguishing the fire at around 9.30am.’
FRNSW used 24 firefighters and six fire trucks to tackle the blaze at the Lily Road house.
FRNSW Deputy Commissioner Megan Stiffler told 7News it appeared the grandparents were ‘trying to get out’ based on evidence from inside.
He added that tight security made it difficult for firefighters to enter the house.
It is understood that Mr Airspey suffered from dementia and many of the possible exits from the house were blocked off from the inside to prevent him from being noticed and lost.
Neighbors said the elderly couple were popular and were often seen at home entertaining their grandchildren.
Ms Stiffler said it was essential that families checked their smoke alarms were working but also talked to their relatives about their plans in the event of a house fire.
‘If you’ve got elderly family members – please, sit down, discuss, talk about where their safety escape plan is,’ he said.
Ms Stiffler said the casualties were ‘a sad reminder’ of how dangerous homes can become during winter.
Fire and Rescue NSW took about three hours and used 24 firefighters and six fire trucks to extinguish the blaze at the Lily Road home.
Sonia Airspe (pictured) who died in a house fire aged 75, is understood to have tried to keep the house safe so her husband wouldn’t leave and get lost
Neighbors said the elderly couple were popular and were often seen at home entertaining their grandchildren. Pictured, Orosil Airspe, who died at the age of 81
Six people have died in house fires across NSW so far this winter, one more than the same period in 2022.
A record 16 people died in NSW house fires last winter.
Fire and Rescue NSW has warned householders to keep all materials at least one meter away from any heaters, ensure electric blankets are not damaged and ensure smoke alarms are connected and working properly.
Experts from FRNSW’s Fire Investigation and Research Unit (FIRU) are now working with NSW Police to determine where and how the fire started.